Sunday 19 May 2013

Testing testing, 1-2-3...end of week 3 and I some tests are complete

Wow, what an interesting I Quit Sugar weekend.  So this weekend my gorgeous, and generous friend, Neish, took me away for a kid free weekend to her family cabin on the Murray River so that I could complete my school reports in peace and quiet.

Temptations this weekend were going to include:
  • Drinking tea as my hot beverage in a cold cabin.
  • Drinking tea with sugar as I forgot my Equal tablets at home (apologies for the blatant product placement but they are the only sweetener tablets that don't make me want to claw my eyes out because of the aftertaste)
  • The best juice on the planet is available at the local grocery store
  • Drinking wine
  • I tend to munch out on sugary treats as well as chips and the like while I am working for long periods
  • I get stressed and crave sugar

OK. So I drank tea with half a teaspoon of sugar and found it surprisingly sweet. Considering three weeks ago I took my last cup of tea with 2 heaped teaspoons of sugar this is pretty good. I arrived home to a fresh cup of tea, and found one sweetener tablet is now too sweet.

I avoided sugary snacks and drinks all weekend, probably because I had some Vitamin Neisha to keep me grounded and of course, two good movies to keep me occupied. I highly recommend What to Expect When You're Expecting and Rock of Ages (as long as you can manage to keep down the vomit every time you are faced with a rock'n'roll God that is NOT, Tom Cruise.)

I ate a mandarin on Saturday and it was quite sweet. The big surprise was when I arrived home and put them in the fruit bowl the kids (all three of them) took a mandarin to eat as a snack. All three of them commented on how sweet they were...almost to the point of  them not being able to eat them.

I am back to walking this week, after a bit of a break last week because of a sore knee and no interest based on how tired I was from my week of work...exhausting was more like it.  This week I am writing report comments so it's going to be another hell week.

I also read I Quit Sugar, by Sarah Wilson. I found her book to be very conversational, and very short. David Gillespie's, Sweet Poison Quit Plan was far more involved and contained far more information, but Sarah's book raised some great points, and made me feel like I wasn't a sugar pariah by having half a teaspoon in my tea.  I recommend both books.

Anyway, it's now late on Sunday. I apologise for the lack of panache my writing stylings usually produce, but I am tired and I have been staring at children's writing and math all weekend, so now it's bed time for me. More sugar free updates soon, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment